Saturday, August 18, 2012

Where Shopping is a Pleasure??? :)

I miss Wal-Mart and Target. While lines are sooooo loooooooong here and sometimes soooooo slooooooow everyone is pretty patient. We waited in line at Popeye’s for 30 minutes just to order…taking the fast out of fast food. In America, you would hear huffing and puffing and complaints galore but here it is just a way of life.

The school supplies that are available is interesting. Other teachers have said it has improved around Suriname, but I am still trying to find 3m hooks and 3-ring (with pockets) folders.  We went to the office store (at the mall) and I was willing to shell out some money for a 3 whole punch…come to find out it is 100 US dollars!!! I wouldn’t even pay that with my last teaching salary! A three whole punch is now on my list to get at Christmas. J

Grocery shopping has been fun. We have been taken to the grocery stores that carry American brands, but you pay some pretty pennies (or SRDs) for it! Cereal is about $7 a box and hair/shampoo/body wash around $10 for the brands you want.  The other teachers have given suggestions at what to go local on compared to indulging in what’s familiar.   It is harder to eat healthy. Period.  It is more expensive…like in the States.   But I will not give up on my quest to try new things while not being carb central!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment