Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cue the Sad Music

So I thought that I had finally gotten the perfect bike. It is not too tall, brakes work, and has a basket.  But other day I was biking home from school (by myself) while the dark clouds were looming over me. I asked the guard at our school if he thought I could make it home before it downpoured and he seemed to think so... Unfotunately that was not the case. In the midst of it starting to rain, my chain comes off of my bike. I am not even halfway home yet. Can you hear the sad music that is played during a pivotally sad point in the main character's life?? I felt like I could hear the music.  I called my roommate, Carmen, who has a car and she came and helped me. She brought the rainjack and took my backpack that had my electronics.  Thankfully, they were just fine. :)  She tried to fix the problem, but the chain came off again.  It was a teachable moment: 1. always carry a rainjacket  2. bring along a plastic bag to cover expensive things  3. have Carmen on speed dial.

But the evening did get better. A group of us hit up McDonald's for dinner and then went to go see the Bourne movie. (It was a REALLY nice theater!!! AND only about $6 for an evening movie!) Be jealous all of you Americans!

On the way out, we ran into the Smileys - well the parents. This is a family that is from Arkansas that just moved to Suriname about two weeks ago. They were having date night, but it was nice to meet someone that I had met via email. They will be going into the jungle for a time so I am not sure how much time we will get to see one another, but it is nice to at least to have met them.

Thats all for now, my friends!!! Be blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Ya know... I was feeling really bad for you until you mentioned McDonalds. Then all the sympathy faded away.

    ReplyDelete