Sunday, August 26, 2012

Happy 1 Month Suriname-versary!!

I can't believe it's almost been a month since I have left what was familiar and comfortable for an adventure. I am so thankful I am here. God has placed me in the right place with the right people. I grow more confident in that every day.

I have met my whole class this week - all five students. I adore them.  They all feed off of different love languages I have decided. I have a hugger, storyteller, encourager, and deep thinker. But I have yet to find the gift giver! :)  I feel blessed to love on and learn from these kids.  They got me so off track the other day...we were studying plants and their climates and all of a sudden we are talking how tornadoes can lift houses.  Such inquisitive (and sneaky) kiddos!!! :)  I would like to meet their teacher last year because she did a GREAT job...so much carry over too! :)  One of the students wants to pray for a new country everyday so that the people may know Jesus. That made my heart melt. We are actually going to be studying a country/week and pray for that country. I hope to have a flag from each country we study hanging on the wall as a reminder. 

I don't think have mentioned b-fit. It is the "gym" here.  It feels like hot yoga. They do group classes all without air-co. I have done the easy aerobics class here. It is not too bad until the 20 min ab/push up shenanigans start. I am sliding all over my mat and the floor because I am sweating so much! Take that Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels! :)

Friday night was kick-off night for youth group. It is a ministry for middle and high school students from our school.  We played games - volleyball, basketball, and board games.  It is still true. I was born for the stage, not the court. But everyone was nice and encouraging even when I shot the ball WAY off court! :) Before I leave Suriname I want to be a baller... :) I think Dusty and Tiffany will help me...(They are teachers from GA!)

Yesterday I did my first Suriname 5k. It was hot. And crowded. There was a group of teachers that did it and within that group we had a wogging (walking/jogging) group.  The warm up started at 4:30, but it was still hot. Terri and I gave our water bottles to Sherry to carry in her backpack (sweet of us, huh?).  Well we were all gonna wog together but we lost Sherry.  At mile marker ????? (they don't post that info - kinda torturous!) we were DYING for water. But we ran across the finish line and were given a water bottle and popsicle. It was melting before I could enjoy it completely.  I look forward to more of these shenanigans.

This morning while making my coffee and breakfast the power went out.  But not all over the house...just on my half of the house.  There was no water, air-co, or lights. But in other parts of the house it worked. I was puzzled and checking the breaker did nothing. I told myself it was not going to break me, but when I got home from service and it was hot and I still couldn't shower I felt my frustrations start to compound. Then I realized we had a wonderful porch! The breeze was nce and it gave me time to escape the discomfort. Thankfully, my roommate was able to call Navin (he is head maintenance man at our school) and he told her to flip a switch outside. All was well again! :)

I think I am still in the honeymoon stage of this journey. I am feeling more independent within the city. I have a bike that is CUTE, stops when needed, and is not too tall! :)  My friend, Tiffany, has a birthday coming in a few weeks and she likes themed parties. I am thinking we are going to get along just fine!!  It is hard not having everyone on speed dial but I am thankful for the Skype dates I have been able to have.  I think it is important for me to write the blog so everyone stays informed on all the happening south of the equator, but I want to hear what is going on in your life - a two way friendship, please!

I am SO THANKFUL for the cards, encouragement, and financial gifts you guys have given me. I may not be able to express how much it means. Thank you for investing yourselves in my journey here.  Happy one month! Let's see what the Lord shows me next!

Beyond blessed,
Megan XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment