Saturday, August 18, 2012

Four Wheelin’ to Two Wheelin’

Well….I thought I knew how to ride a bike. I have been proven wrong. The teachers that left also left their bikes - which ideally is a money-saver. However, I can’t seem to find one that fits. I am like Goldilocks waiting for a bike to be just right. The answer may be at a bike store.

Bike #1: too tall. It was quite humorous to see me try to get on this thing. We get off to walk across the busy streets...well I had a hard time getting started again. It’s hard to get your balance when you can’t really touch the ground. This bike was equipped with a bell AND basket. Perfection! Outside of the fact that safety is more important that vanity that bike would have been the one.

Bike #2 No brakes. The next bike was better because I could touch the ground, however, needing to stop suddenly was out of the question-which on these roads…is a necessary skill.  Also, I don’t know what gear that bike was set on (because that was broken). I had to channel my inner Lance Armstrong to even go on a flat street. Alas, no bell or basket, so this bike was a no go.

Bike #3 and #4 are what I am trying next but the concern with them already is height. I will keep you posted and I am sure post pictures.

Also…the street names in Dutch only make it that much more complicated for me to find my way home. I thought I could do it today, but then I got all kinds of confused. Stephanie is a great wingwoman for the biking adventures. She laughs at my crazy!

The driving here makes a little more sense although I still think it’s more complicated than what I am accustomed to. The honking is not as intense as I thought it was going to be, but biking next to cars is nerve racking. They are more afraid of hitting us, then we are of hitting them. Still..I prefer more personal spaces than is usually extended my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment