Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Camp Life

Hot sun. Cool pool. Organized Mass Chaos. Girls' Tea. Boys Karate. Talent Night. Dancing Luau. Followed by More Pool.

I think I was made for camp most days. Not camping as much as camp.  I had the privilege to invest in my same two foster kid campers.  I love those girls to the moon and back.  At this time of so much newness, it was enjoyable to do something so comforting and so me. We played in the sun and shared how special they truly are even when the world screams the opposite message.  They aren't forgotten.

I have had one camper for four years and I thought it was appropriate to tell her about my move to South America. Well she didn't take it quite as well as I thought she was going to. She teared up and was upset the rest of the night, which pulled on my heart strings only that much more. BUT, it was a teachable moment for the both of us.  Her former caseworker and my new good friend was also a big camper (counselor) at camp.  I was able to share how God brought her to the both of us so we can have that much more ease in communicating.  It was neat to share with my camper how God works in ways we can't explain and it is important to be obedient to what He has asked of us, even if it isn't always easy.

Who knows...I just may start a foster kids camp in Suriname....  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment