Sunday, September 1, 2013

1 Month Anniversary...Plus some days!

Hello!  I have been in Peru a little over a month and some days it feels like a few days and then others a few years that I have been in this foreign place. Every day I think this home does feel more home-y than the day before.  Here are a few things that have been going on in my life recently:

  • The Amazing Race: Lima Edition.  This event actually happened a week after we got here but I forgot to share with the world wide web all the excitement that it brought. Our veteran staff organized an adventure where we had to run all across Lima to get to see some of the popular sights and experience the culture.  Our adventures included: a juice bar, skateboarding park, different modes of transportation, climbing steps and sticking our feet in the ocean, the Presidential palace, Larco Marthe Burrito Bar, and more parks than I can imagine. We had to go to "Cat Park" and find a cat to take a picture with - either petting or holding it. I volunteered to do the capturing of the feline (with gloves of course), but all the creatures ran up the trees when we got close.  It was a wild ride. I was proud of my team. We worked well together and thankfully the three of them were fluent in Spanish. :)  We were only given a certain amount of soles to spend, too.  There are pictures some where on someone's IPhone so I will have to try find them! It was a great time.
  • I have been church "shopping" for a few weeks now.  Not knowing Spanish seems to limit some things. I have been to my roommate's church a couple of times.  The community is great and all around my age, but hard to understand everything going on not knowing Spanish.  I went to a new church today that is near Larco Mar.  The pastor is a gringo (aka - not a native Peruvian or white).  I am SUCH a gringo.  More on that later though...  The people were nice and we saw several other school staff there. The church definitely felt like my American church I had left so that was a nice piece of "home". They had the flashing lights and contemporary music going on. The Gospel was shared and 14 people accepted Christ so God is definitely moving in the church.  I think I will attend another week, but it was definitely encouraging to find a place to worship with other believers - all not being my staff. :)  After church, we went to Larco Mar and had lunch. Larco Mar is a shopping area that overlooks the ocean. It pretty much looks as beautiful as it sounds.  Shops inside the area even include some reminders of home: Steve Madden, North Face, and GAP (coming soon).
  • School is going well. We are busy learning the routine and content.  I have great parents who are warm and inviting. They want to help in anyway and want to invite me over to dinner at their house. One even offered to cook American food!  :)
  • Independence. I think of that Destiny's Child song "Independent Woman" when I hear that word. I am learning slloooowllllyyy how to be independent here I am challenging myself to cook more in the kitchen - crockpot recipes and such - but still a start is a start.  I have taken a cab several times by myself.  I have tried to make conversation with the drivers because I feel aca-awkward if I don't. However, as soon as we talk we have a language barrier about 18 seconds after starting. I just smile and nod or shake my head/throw up arms; TOTAL GRINGO.  But it is nice to be able to do some things on my own. The other day I am pretty sure the cab driver was talking about a beautiful monkey. I even did the monkey noise to clarify. I don't know how you work that into a cab conversation so I think something was lost in translation somewhere...if I had to guess!
  • This week I had my Sunday School teacher (from when I was a fresh professional/graduate) pass away. It has been hard to be so far away during a time of loss. I wanted so badly to be with my friends and former church family to celebrate a man who taught me so much from the Word and about the character of God. We had great memories of the group of us going to the beach in the summer and sharing what God was doing in our lives while enjoying the setting.  Gary had a great laugh - the most contagious.  He brought so much joy and leadership to our class.  His heart was to follow God's heart. I pray I can follow his legacy to the dedicated degree he did.  His passing away, made me homesick.  And not just homesick for my family and familiar places, but homesick for times gone by.  I have been blessed with so many friendships/mentor relationships over my years that I am who I am because of these people.  Thank you all for those who have invested and mentored me....from childhood - Mom and Dad, Barbara Finch, Lisa Travis to youth/young adult - Ray and Christina Strauss, Paula Vauter, Meredith McCaleb, Christina Chartney, Cindy Fain, Lisa Kohen, Anna Emamghoraishi, Dixie Swezey, Stacie Sherry, Ann Singleton, Klista Storts to older adulthood....Gary and Susan Milsaps, Terri Ingram, Julie Welborn....the list could go on. :) Thank you for your spiritual leadership and encouragement in my life.
  • We should be painting the house soon so I will have more pictures to add!
Thanks everyone for hearing my heart. I think I like to use this blog as a public journal if anything. It is good to reflect to see how God is working my life.  I hope my journey can draw you closer to Him and share some laughs along the way.

You are loved,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment