Saturday, February 1, 2014

Kawai that Rhymes with Hawaii

Hello! I hope this post finds you well. :) Here are some of my adventures as of late!

Staff Retreat. This past week our staff trekked out to Kawai to enjoy the beach, fellowship, and worship.  We laid by the pool or beach (whichever was your pleasure) and played games till 1am. (I have learned this new game called Wizard. It's life changing. Support the Target franchise and go get it.) We had a bonfire one night and did Peru style s'mores.  It has been several days and several showers later and I STILL smell smoke in my hair. :)  I know I struggled leaving my wonderful family and friends over this break. But returning to such a great community has made it easier.  I really enjoy doing life with these people. Through all the laughter (and tears) they care about all aspects of each other - especially spiritually. We were challenged in the Word by Josh Foliart.  I actually teach his son, Lucas. He spoke about finding the vision God has called you to as well as the school's vision.  Then he wanted us to think about how are we making or going to make that vision come to life.  He also talked about the importance of discipleship.  God has kind of laid a couple of circumstances before me so I am praying about all the details of it. :)

Civil Defense.  While teachers and students were on break, ICSL has had some inspections done with the Ministry of Labor.   We came back to mandated changes in our classroom set up.  I had to rearrange my rabbit hole into a rule-following place of learning. And I am PROUD to say with the help of my teacher friends and aides, my room looks awesome. I feel like it is almost new school year. I am impressed with our creativity! Thanks be to God who kept me calm-minded. It all worked out and looks pretty fab I might add!

A Megan-ish story.  This is a typical Megan story. I had a friend, SJ, over at my house the other night. While we were talking, she noticed a spark from the outlet that my power strip was plugged into.  We unplugged everything and started to hear a clicking sound. We pulled the power strip away from the wall and heard the clicking coming towards the wall.  We turned off the power at the breaker box and still heard the clicking sound.  We moved the couch back to investigate and saw mold (typical Peru problem because of the climate).  Then we start thinking there is an electrical short, water, and a fire is bound to happen!  I called Jens (a teacher at our school who is SUPER handy - even runs the Handyman club).  He came over and removed the outlet and searched for evidence of a problem, but couldn't find anything. He DID hear the clicking even after shutting down the breaker again. After searching with his flashlight he found the source: a spider that had caught it's dinner in it's web.  The dinner was clicking. So basically all of that drama for a stupid spider. I was about to have to woo some Peruvian electrician with my limited Espanol skills. It was a great welcome back to Peru moment!  Also, I have been informed by one of my students that she has seen my facebook pictures where I am acting crazy. When she told me this, I just laughed in awkwardness as I thought SUPER quick what do I have on FB that could be THAT incriminating?!?! I mean I am a missionary after all! ;) haha!

Prayer Requests:
1. Pray for our school as we fix the issues for the Civil Defenses' expectations.  We eventually want to move to a new location so pray for funding and a building that will meet our expanding school's needs.
2. Pray for Mateo - my new student.  I am anxious to meet him and have him find his niche.

Know and experience His love and grace in a new way this week.

You are loved,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment